Sunday, May 13, 2012

Why More Women Must Join Politics

Why more women must join politics —Sumonu

By Jeremiah Oke
Nigerian Nation

First female Speaker of Oyo State House of Assembly, Honourable Monsurat Sumonu of Action Congress of Nigeria, represents Oyo East and Oyo West. In this interview with Jeremiah Oke, she explains the secrets of her success in the male dominated House.

Politics in Nigeria is regarded as a dirty game. After 22 years as an immigration officer in the United Kingdom, what made you to venture into politics here?

I don’t see politics as a dirty game. I believe we are to improve people’s life and to look after the community, so it is never a dirty game.

Another thing that prompted me into politics was my experience during one of my visits to Nigeria. There was a road accident and I managed to assist the victims. Then, I called the chairman of the nearest local government to know what they can offer to the victims, because it was fatal. When I got back to England, I narrated my experience to other members of the Oyo State Descendants in United Kingdom. We all lamented on the way they play politics with people’s life in Nigeria. So, we resolved then that anyone who wished to join politics in Nigeria should do that and contribute meaningfully to the living conditions of the masses and to enlighten people on what the roles and objectives of politicians should be. That, among other factors, made me to venture into politics.

At 53, can you say you are fulfilled?

When I look back to see what God has done in my life, I always have cause to thank God. First and foremost, he has given me the grace of attaining the age of 53, and when I remember what God has done for my children, I thank him.

How can you describe the low involvement of women in politics in Nigeria?

Anywhere you go here in Nigeria, you see people crying for 35 percent of women involvement in politics, which means it has not been fulfilled, that is why women are crying; which means they have not been given the opportunity to participate in Nigerian politics. It means the figure is below expectation; so I believe if we keep crying and shouting, one day, they will hear our voice, and they will later give us the opportunity to have the expected percentage of our participation.

Don’t you think low participation of women in politics suggest feelings that they are not capable of holding sensitive political offices?

I wouldn’t say that because you could see thousands of Nigerian women who are doctors, magistrates, senators, ministers, and in other pubic offices in all sectors both in Nigeria and abroad. They are all of high calibre. So that means it is men that have not given them the opportunity. I believe Nigerian women have the skill and the ability to hold any post. They will demonstrate that if they are given opportunity.

Since men are not ready to give you opportunity, what effort are you making to claim it?

I believe the work I am doing now as the Speaker of Oyo State House of Assembly and this kind of interview will enable the women to know that there is need for them to join politics and contribute their quota to the development of their immediate environment.

It seems married women in politics will have additional burden. As a married woman, how are you coping?

I believe men are married as well, so, its double problems for them as well, because nobody will like to be an absent father. That is how it is for women too. We all know how we prioritise things. Being in politics does not mean you should neglect the family, whether you are a man or a woman.

Do you mean your job does not affect your relationship with your husband?

My husband understands what I am doing, because that is what had happened before. I mean, he is working and I am also working, so we had to align ourselves. My husband understands the nature of my job and knows what I have to do at a particular point in time, likewise my children; they know that I have an important role to play in the state and in the community, so they all understand me and I give glory to God.

In Oyo State House, majority of the members are men, if not all; as a woman speaker, how have you been able to manage them?

All of them are my brothers, they are my husbands, and they are my colleagues. By the special grace of God, we all have the same focus and the focus is how to move Oyo State to the greater height which is very important, regardless of party differences. They have been very cooperative.

What advice do you have for up-coming female politicians?

They should ask themselves if they can do it and they should not look at the negative aspect of it; rather, the way to improve the living standard of the people. They should be ambitious and ask themselves when I get there, what do I want to do?

No comments: